Re: [swarm-hackers] Re: Host platform dependence (was Naming conventions

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] Re: Host platform dependence (was Naming conventions)
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 17:48:29 +1100

On 19/11/2009, at 5:13 PM, Scott Christley wrote:
> Yeah, it's true, the 'model' word is bad, right behind it is 'system' and
> 'paradigm' and many others.

No argument there.  I tried to qualify paradigm with UI to make it clearer.

> Anyways, I'm using the word model in the same context you are.  The
> integration piece I'm talking about is the ObserverSwarm.  This is part of
> the Swarm design and defines how the simulation of the model is observed.
> The observation could be a GUI but its also possible to be non-GUI like
> saving data into a file.
>
> No it's not typically part of the modeller's model, but it is part of the
> Swarm Library.  The distinction is well defined.  The interface is not.
> According to the Swarm design, the ObserverSwarm object is also a Swarm
> object.
>
> But let me put my "Glen Ropella" hat on for moment, some modeller actually
> may consider the act of observation to be part of the model.  No its not
> common, but its valid.

I really can't go with that.  I don't get this as quantum physics.  IMHO the
MVC paradigm is seriously useful, which is part of why Rails is so sweet.
Violating it by mixing the M and the V leads down a path beset by dragons.  It
may be valid, but it is very perilous.

Cheers
Bill