Re: [swarm-hackers] "Swarm Wiki Guide - Installing Swarm on Mac OS X fro

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] "Swarm Wiki Guide - Installing Swarm on Mac OS X from Source" problems
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 11:59:41 +1100

If you back up to 2005, you will certainly find what you need.

I did an installer for the various prerequisites, gnused, blt and hdf5 (which
builds perfectly easily on MacOS X).  It assumed that R and its associated
Tcl/Tk package and compiler were installed.  No point in maintaining stuff that
someone else is doing.

Since then things have of course changed.  The current Tcl/Tk trunk leading to
the 8.6 release sometime is now pure Cocoa code (no Carbon) so it will build 64
bit, which the old one would not.  I expect Simon, the Mac maintainer for R,
will have it packaged up fairly soon although a single arch build from source
is straightforward.  I wanted to try to build a fat (ppc, i386, x86-64) BLT
using this new Tcl/Tk, which would give us an old style GUI to test a new Cocoa
one against.

Unfortunately the compilers shipped with R, which are built from an FSF backend
with an Apple driver (So they understand -arch options and drive lipo.) don't
work anymore.  They also include Fortran.
It is a catch 22:
If you use -fnested-functions the front end barfs, if you don't use it the
backend says you need to need to!

This was my motivation for wanting to kill the nested functions once and for
all.  They are a non-standard feature in GNU C which is used by around 0.1% of
GNU packages.  They are not supported, and never will be, in Clang-LLVM.

Bill