Re: [swarm-hackers] Old autoconf build process is broken in current trun

From: Scott Christley
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] Old autoconf build process is broken in current trunk
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:33:06 -0800

On Nov 25, 2009, at 3:15 PM, Bill Northcott wrote:

On 26/11/2009, at 6:30 AM, Scott Christley wrote:
On Nov 25, 2009, at 3:05 AM, Bill Northcott wrote:
In file included from ./Swarm/Collection.h:27,
from ../../../../src/collections/../collections/ Array.h:26,
              from ../../../../src/collections/Array.m:26:
./Swarm/collections.h:1238:36 ./Swarm/collections.h:1238:36: error: Swarm/collections_types.h: No such file or directory

I have no idea how this works for you on Linux. In my build, the Swarm symlink in builddir/src/collections goes back to the source, which is why Swarm/collection_types.h is not found. <collection_types.h> would work, but I appreciate that it is not what is wanted.

With the change I made, it should not be trying to include <Swarm/ collections_types.h>, it should be trying to include <collections/ collections_types.h>. Do you have SWARM_OPENSTEP defined for some reason? Maybe you configured with "--enable-openstep"?

I thought from your previous email that I needed --enable-openstep to use the Apple runtime.

No, sorry maybe that wasn't clear. --enable-openstep is to use the OpenStep GUI, and currently it disables the tcl/tk GUI classes from being compiled.

I never considered before using tcl/tk GUI together with Apple runtime, as I said before I didn't want to invalidate your previous Mac work which used the GNU runtime.

There will need to be more work to do this properly, because if you use the Apple runtime, you pretty much have to by default use NSObject and Cocoa, they are intimately tied together with the objc runtime. But we want to compile the tcl/tk GUI classes instead of the Openstep ones.

I tried without openstep and got:

libtool: compile: gcc -B ../../tools -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I./objc - I../../../libobjc -I../../../libobjc/objc -I../../../libobjc - DBUILDING_LIBOBJC -g -Os -fnested-functions -B ../../../libobjc/../ tools -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -Wno-import -Wno-protocol -Wno- long-long -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -Wno-import -Wno-protocol -Wno- long-long -MT Protocol.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/Protocol.Tpo - c ../../../libobjc/Protocol.m -fno-common -DPIC -o .libs/Protocol.o ../../../libobjc/Protocol.m:79:0 ../../../libobjc/Protocol.m:79: error: @defs is not supported in new abi ../../../libobjc/Protocol.m: In function '-[Protocol descriptionForInstanceMethod:]':

There also seems to be an @defs in List.h. I have no idea what this is about at this point. Do you know if this code is actually used anymore? I understand it as a way of breaking the encapsulation and grovelling in the data structures, which is not nice unless really needed. Any way, the compiler does not understand it. I suspect this is chopped out by your build.

No reason to compile the Swarm modified GNU runtime if going to use the Apple runtime...

Can you tell me what other packages I should install. I essentially just need the TCL/TK framework for Mac?

I will try to get a system together so I can test along with you. If your goal is to use tcl/tk GUI with Apple compiler and Apple runtime, I'm positive that no configure settings will give that to you today in Swarm. Modifications are required.

I don't agree about the libtool/makefile on Mac, but regardless I can work on having the source code recognize a difference between the Apple GUI separated from Apple runtime.

Scott