Re: Concurrency

From: Rod Price
Subject: Re: Concurrency
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 10:29:48 -0600

Martin J. Maiers wrote:

> > as an afterthought). Only one fulfills these conditions: Ada (Java is a
> > special web-oriented small language, which has borrowed some Ada
> > constructs).
>
> Not exactly.
>
> Java is absolutely not a web-oriented language (althout it
> is small, like all good languages should be).  The fact that Java
> works well on the web speaks for its design "write once, run everywhere".
> Java was actually in development (under another name) before the
> web craze.
>
> BTW, I find Java's exception handling capability at least comparable
> to ADA's.

At TRW, we've run benchmarks on equivalent Java and C++ programs
using a clustering algorithm (i.e. classifying points in a high-
dimensional space by their distance from one another).  We found
that the best JVM's (JIT compilers) run only 10% slower than the
equivalent C++ code.

This indicates to me that Java is becoming a very viable general-
purpose language.  Yes, the language designers borrowed constructs
from C++, Ada, Smalltalk, etc, but that's a plus, not a minus.

-Rod Price
address@hidden