Re: Outcomes Research in Managed Care

From: joseph . e . villa
Subject: Re: Outcomes Research in Managed Care
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 12:59:48 -0700

Greetings, all!

I've been part of a research team that has been using agent based
simulation to understand the economic impacts of electronic commerce on
healthcare. Although we are not on the "medical" side yet, we envision that
our simulation methods will eventually have great applicability in this
domain.

To Ken's question: Yes. There are a number of "traditional" models for
looking at the economics of managed care. Outcomes research is the
foundation of this area of work. Some folks refer to it as "cost
effectiveness" research. More recent, and more interesting work, includes
outcomes measured in economic and "quality adjusted life years".

Cheers,

Joseph.

(Embedded image moved to file: PIC23801.PCX)
kcline @ c3i.saic.com (Ken Cline)  (Mailed by: kcline @ c3i.saic.com (Ken
Cline) @ internet)
04/22/98 07:09 PM EDT