beginner looking for help

From: Tamas Papp
Subject: beginner looking for help
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 18:37:51 -0600 (MDT)

Hi,

My name is Tamas Papp. I'm interested in complex systems and agent-based
modelling. Besides the fact that I would like to do it, I do not know much
about the whole thing. I've never had a university course on it, or
anything like that, but I picked up a little by reading books I could find
on the subject (mostly Axelrod's works. That's how I found out about the
Santa Fe Institute.)

I've downloaded swarm and set it up, and compiled a few simulations, eg.
heatbugs and antsort, and I find them truly amazing. I'd like to do
similar simulations myself, but I don't know where to start. If somebody
could tell me about some introductory resources and exercises, it would
certainly help a lot. Especially online resources, but books would be
great too.

I already have a fairly good background in C/C++, so I don't think it will
be hard for me to learn Objective-C, and I expect to be able to use swarm
after a bit of practice. I'm interested in economics and biology.

Thanks in advance,

Tamas