Re: Stats libraries/functions???

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Stats libraries/functions???
Date: 23 Jun 1999 09:09:01 -0700

JG> Have I missed something, or is the only statistical analysis
JG> currently available in SWARM averaging?

Well, there's an Entropy probe.

Besides not having time, we haven't added more features to the
analysis library for a few reasons:

  1) No specific suggestions from the user community

  2) Object serialization can write to HDF5.  HDF5 can be read and written
     by R, a S-Plus clone  (http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/R).

  3) Rather than coming up with Objective C wrappers to C or Fortran
     libraries, or implementing custom Objective C statistical code,
     it would improve the accessibility of Swarm to provide glue to
     popular apps like Excel.

     It's not as fanciful as it sounds: the Windows version of Swarm 2.0
     will based on a single DLL¹, and folks have built DLLs using
     Cygwin for Excel.²

¹ Btw, typical Swarm model links in Cygwin take about three seconds.

² http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/index.html (see #6)