Re: Regressions and Rules of behavior

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Re: Regressions and Rules of behavior
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 07:34:18 -0400 (EDT)

I think marcus and paul's answers have sketched
out the two alternative approaches, which in large
part depend on what one is trying to do with the model.

In one approach, as mentioned by Marcus,
one has some observations from the real world,
e.g., some regression-able relationships.
In this case one would like the model to generate those
relationships "from the bottom up", i.e., one models
the agents' decision rules in some "realistic" way
(the assumption being that people don't do a regression
in their heads and then decide),
and hope that generates the regression relationship
in your model just as it is observed in the world.
Its not so impressive if you had your agents use some regression-based
rule to make their decisions, and then you observe
the regressionable relationship in the model behavior.

But in another approach, one may not being
trying to build a model to predict/explain
the regression relationship in question.
Thus in the stock market sims mentioned they aren't trying to
explain why some decision rules seem to be describable
by a simple regression.   They are trying to predict/understand
some more aggregate level phenomena.
Thus they model their agents by just building the regression
relationship into the rules---in effect saying "we don't know
how this regression comes about, but the details of how
it is generated are not important
for what we are trying to show from this model." (Of course
this assumption may or may not be right, but its often
a reasonable place to start.)
Then they see what kind of aggregate behavior results.

- r

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Center for Study of Complex Systems (CSCS)
4477 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 734 763 3323                  Fax: 734 763 9267
http://www.pscs.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html