Human Agents in ABMs

From: Darren Schreiber
Subject: Human Agents in ABMs
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 20:28:32 -0800

UCLA and Caltech recently opened CASSEL (California Social Science Experimentation Laboratory), a computer lab designed for large scale experiments (see more details at http://www.cassel.ucla.edu/.) Economists, for instance, have theories about how people should behave when they play certain games like the prisoner's dilemma (Do you defect or cooperate when their are costs and benefits?) At this lab, they can have computers facilitate the play of these games and thus test the theoretical results from game theory.

So, I left the open house thinking about how to take my Swarm models and replace the agent algorithms with humans. If people behave like my model assumes they do, then we should be able to have humans make the decisions rather than my agents and still get the same kind of results.

I am wondering if anyone has given thought to how one might convert an agent-based model running on a single computer into a model where the input came from a bunch of people in a lab of networked computers playing the game in real time. This may not help the fish modelers a lot, but I think for social scientists who are doing ABM's this is a worthwhile direction to explore. Let me know your thoughts - technical or theoretical.

        Darren

                 Darren Schreiber
                  Attorney at Law
                 Graduate Student