Re: Fish dispersal modelling and GIS

From: M Lang / S Railsback
Subject: Re: Fish dispersal modelling and GIS
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 08:41:17 -0600

address@hidden wrote:

> It seems that this page has some information on your topic of interest. I
> haven´t read it through, but it seems to be in your line of interest.
> Greetings,
>      Konrad
>
> http://math.humboldt.edu/~simsys/Products.html

Yes- that is our site and it is mostly about modeling fish in Swarm.
Look around. One page is about a Columbia River salmon simulator in
which we import a field of points where water velocity is known in two
dimensions and the fish swim and drift in the current field. This
simulator is now in the custody of Jim Anderson at U. Washington and I'm
sure he would send you the model description.

In that salmon simulator we imported the current data from a
hydrodynamic model. For each point in horizontal space where the
hydrodynamic model simulates velocity (called a 'node'), we imported the
point's X and Y coordinates, the X and Y coordinates of the current
velocity at the point, and the depth. When it was time for an individual
fish to move, the fish looked around to find the nearest node and used
the current velocity from that node. If the nodes were spaced on a
regular grid, the fish would not have to do this looking around, it
could calculate exactly where the nearest node is.

Many years ago there was a simulator of ocean salmon movement, again I
think the fish moved via a combination of swimming and drifting with the
current. It was called NerkaSim; there is still probably a web page up
for it, but I don't think the project is active. It was written in
VisualBasic.

Paul Box at Utah State probably has more code than anyone else for
moving GIS data in and out of Swarm. You should check out how he does
it.

We've done several models similar to various parts of what you are
considering, and I'm sure you could make it work in Swarm. We started a
model of queen conch but did not get to the larvae dispersal phase.
However, we did develop a graphical interface that could be useful to
you- there is one display of the whole "world" showing the density of
fish in each grid cell; then you can click on a grid, tell it how many
grids you want to zoom in on, and open up a new display showing the
locations of the individuals. Let me know if you want it.

Feel free to email me directly if you want more info on anything at our
web site. If you are just learning how to model fish growth, etc. take a
look at the full description of our stream trout model.

Steve

--
address@hidden
Lang, Railsback & Assoc.