Re: [Swarm Modelling] Project on GRID-mediated access to agent-based mod

From: Nick Gotts
Subject: Re: [Swarm Modelling] Project on GRID-mediated access to agent-based models
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:19:54 +0000

Dear Russell,

Thanks very much for your message. I'll send a draft of the "Case for Support"
we're writing in the next few days; this will set out the role we see the
"assessors" as performing in more detail. You can give us any comments or
criticisms, and confirm whether you are willing to be named as an assessor, and
if so, whether in relation to research, teaching, or both.

Best regards,
Nick

Nick Gotts
Macaulay Land Use Research Institute
Aberdeen AB15 8QH
Scotland, UK

Tel: +44 (0)1224 498200 ext. 2229
Fax: +44 (0)1224 311556
e-mail: address@hidden
http://www.macaulay.ac.uk/fearlus

>>> Russell Standish <address@hidden> 19-Feb-03 4:10:47 AM >>>
Dear Nick,
        I would be interested in trying this out. We have some
experience in using swarm, so should be able to run your model as a
check. We also have a watching brief on Grid technologies, and I'm
interested to see how ABM perform over grids.

                                        Cheers

Nick Gotts wrote:

> [...]
> compile  it.  The  pilot  project is  being  designed with  a view  to
> forming an  EU FP6 Integrated Project  to do the same  with many other
> models.
>
> The  proposed work  will include:  (1)  describing FEARLUS  as a  Grid
> service, so that  remote users can discover and  invoke it, and obtain
> interpretable results; (2)  maintaining histories of interactions with
> users,  allowing  experiments  to   be  replayed  and  results  to  be
> aggregated; (3) managing the Grid  service, to control user access and
> allocation of resources.   It would assist us greatly  in this initial
> project if we  could identify a few colleagues willing  to be named in
> our pilot project proposal, as  agreeing to help to assess the planned
> Grid deployment of FEARLUS, in one of two possible roles:
>
> (a) In a  research role, either  comparing results from your own model
> with those from FEARLUS, checking results in FEARLUS publications, or
> exploring FEARLUS's capabilities and limitations as a stage in the
> process of designing a new model.
>
> (b)  In a  teaching role,  using   FEARLUS as  part of  an appropriate
> lecture course (FEARLUS has already been used in teaching at
> postgraduate level).
>
> Agreeing to be named in  the proposal would not  constitute or imply a
> legal  or  contractual obligation to   take   part in  the  assessment
> process, but of course we would want to name anyone who did not expect
> to do so. The requirements of doing so would be a negotiable amount of
> time for the   work involved in (a)   or  (b) above,  and   to give us
> feedback from that  work (perhaps by  answering  a questionnaire); and
> possibly a willingness to install a thin client to access FEARLUS over
> the Grid.
>
> Those  willing  to  be named will   (if the   application succeeds) be
> consulted about  the facilities to be  made available, to maximise the
> benefit to  their own teaching and/or  research. We  believe they will
> benefit from  our  experience  of  planning and undertaking   the Grid
> deployment of an  agent-based   model,  and  will be in   an  improved
> position   to  join in  potential   Grid-related  and e-Social Science
> projects - ours and others'. Specifically, we would hope they would be
> interested in joining us in the follow-up proposal to the EU. Although
> it is unlikely   we would   be able to   pay   you for  your time   in
> participating in  this exercise, any other  expenses incurred would be
> reimbursed.
>
> If you  are interested  in getting involved,  please could you  let us
> know as  soon as possible (but  no later than 24  February) which role
> you would be prepared to take  (or indeed if there is another role you
> can think  of that  you would prefer).  Naturally we will  not include
> your  name  without  explicit  permission,  and are  ready  to  answer

A/Prof Russell Standish                  Director
High Performance Computing Support Unit, Phone 9385 6967, 8308 3119 (mobile)
UNSW SYDNEY 2052                         Fax   9385 6965, 0425 253119 (")
Australia                                address@hidden