[Swarm-Modelling] comparing models

From: Scott Christley
Subject: [Swarm-Modelling] comparing models
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 13:02:11 -0400

Anybody familiar with Robert Axelrod's cultural dissemination model? And the follow up paper by Axtell, Axelrod, Epstein, and Cohen which "docks" Sugarscape with Axelrod's model? Even if you don't, that's fine, my questions are general enough.

In the docking paper, they discuss ways on how to compare the two models; how to determine whether they were equivalent or not. They proposed two forms of equivalence, one strong and the other weak. The strong equivalence being that one model could "produce several distributions of measurements that were statistically indistinguishable from distributions produced" by the other model. The weak form of equivalence being that similar patterns are found in the distributions; broad descriptions like increasing, increasing then decreasing, periodic, etc.

I've implemented Axelrod's model in Swarm, now I am going to implement the model again but with a fundamentally different algorithm(cultural dissemination rule) underneath. Then I want to compare them to see if they are equivalent.

Now statistics is not my strong suit, so I hope that somebody can give me some pointers or suggest some reading material.

* If I know the size of the state space, which is really large, can I use that to determine how many samples (i.e. how many test runs of the simulation with a different starting seed) I need in order to get confidence that the distribution is the real distribution of the space? Can I characterize that level of confidence?

In Axelrod's paper, he mentions that with the base parameter set it describes a state space of 10^500, but he didn't perform many runs. 40 runs for some and only 10 runs for his larger parameter sets.

* In the docking paper, they mention two statistical tests: two-sided Mann-Whitney U statistic and the Kolmogorov-Smirnov (K-S) test. Are there any others? Any good books or papers that talk about these types of tests, pros-cons, underlying assumptions, etc?

Lastly, do you know of any recent papers which try to more clearly define the notion of equivalence for agent-based models?

thanks
Scott

ps; the two papers I mentioned are in this book:

Robert Axelrod, "The Complexity of Cooperation, Agent-Based Models of Competition and Collaboration", Princeton University Press 1997, Chapter 7 and Appendix A.