Re: [Swarm-Modelling] ANN & GA

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] ANN & GA
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 07:08:14 -0800

Xia Wu wrote:
Dear All
I am interested in modelling collective behaviour using neural network and genetic algorithm(genetic programming). Can anyone help me get started? How to construct a neural network?
Please email me (address@hidden)

I'm sure there are plenty of other people more qualified to reply than I am... but:

a. There are many books on genetical algorithms and ANNs. I recently searched Amazon.com for genetic algorithms and came up with dozens, some of which specifically also addressed ANNs.

b. The economists have done many models of agent behavior using GAs and ANNs. A good place to start looking is: http://www.econ.iastate.edu/tesfatsi/ace.htm

c. The field of ALife is all about this kind of modeling. I believe they still have their home at www.alife.org

d. At one time, someone wrote GA and ANN tools for use in Swarm. If they are not on the Swarm Community web pages, perhaps someone can remind us who and where.

steve r.