Re: [Swarm-Modelling] SWARM on Clusters

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] SWARM on Clusters
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:08:21 -0700

Russell Standish wrote:

The idea behind Graphcode is "agents on a graph". Graphcode takes care
of migrating agents between processors as necessary, including for
load balancing reasons, and performing the work on a local list of
nodes. Nearest neighbours living on distant nodes are cached prior to
running the computation part.

Cool, sounds kind of like Tom Maxwell's SME package. [Don't know if there is a maintained version these days..] I've been playing with a package called POOMA lately. http://www.codesourcery.com/pooma/pooma It was developed at Los Alamos National Labs, and implements data parallel arrays & fields. It lets you write numerical simulations in high level code (hidden behind operator overloading in C++), and then it let's you finesse the partioning of the computation over the cluster.

One of the things we did figure out how to do was to embed C++ models into Swarm.
Swarm implements callin and callouts from XPCOM just like the Java can do callins and callouts. The nice thing about this system is that the XPCOM interfaces are C++ classes and Swarm can call these methods at function call speed. The XPCOM support also facilitates writing Swarm models in JavaScript and Python. It's pretty much complete -- probe stuff is implemented for XPCOM and JavaScript, Selectors work (reflection), etc. If I were to dust it off again I'd probably target Microsoft COM or .NET since the technology is 90% the same. It would be like Swarm for Java, but instead of plugging Swarm into your Java IDE, you'd plugin it into Visual Studio and have Swarm interfaces in Visual Basic, Visual C++, C#, etc.