Re: [Swarm-Modelling] SWARM development/maintenance status?

From: Russell Standish
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] SWARM development/maintenance status?
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:32:34 +1000

I don't believe there is any current active development on the
package, however the original developers have not gone away. The more
relevant questions are:

a) Is it open source - can I fix it myself if needed? Answer: yes.
b) Is there a sizable community using the software? Answer: yes - this
means fixes are more likely to come about.

An even more important question is - "Is the software still state of
the art"? I think it is, since I can't think of one obvious platform
that supersedes Swarm - various packages such as RePast, Ascape and
EcoLab have their own strengths and weaknesses relative to Swarm, but
none is the obvious replacement.

                                        Cheers