Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Floating point arithmetic

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Floating point arithmetic
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:23:11 -0600

Thanks for posting this, Gary. I remember seeing a document like this several years ago, but it appears to be evolving.. ;-)

For Java to be taken seriously as a language for scientific
programming, it  needs to treat floating point arithmetic with the respect it
deserves

Sun is working on a new language for scientific computing. I think it sounds pretty interesting. I guess their answer to Java's criticisms boils down to "you are using the wrong language". Check it out:

http://www.sun.com/presents/minds/2005-0302
http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/view/673

Also of interest is this language from Cray and the University of Washington:

http://chapel.cs.washington.edu

Both languages have explicit support for parallelism, generics (a.k.a. templates), and many other things. Perhaps one of these languages would make a good foundation for a next generation agent simulation system?