[Swarm-Modelling] Re: [Swarm-Support] IDEs - who is using what

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: [Swarm-Modelling] Re: [Swarm-Support] IDEs - who is using what
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:14:25 -0600

Darren Schreiber wrote:
Game theory and statistics, both have standard ways of doing things that make it substantially easier to figure out what a person has done. With ABMs, even very skilled programmers tell me about the difficulties they have in replicating results. [...] I believe this anarchic state and a continuing uncertainty about its epistemological foundations is the reason.
When I put down a model for a while, and come back to it, I tend to forget some of the more delicate but important structures that can drive its dynamics. It's like coming back to working on a complicated program or wading into a half-finished paper full of dense notation: I'm lost and senseless until that stuff is back in working memory.

Sure, an obstacle is the technology, and the need to have, to a degree, a programming skill set that isn't obviously related to the modeling. But, except for truck drivers and pizza delivery people, the skill of driving is ancillary to most kinds of work as well. Driving is a skill, you learn it, end of problem.

The more menacing problem with ABMs is how to identify and organize all of the pieces so that enough of them get into working memory and one can frame feasibly-testable hypotheses about what the simulation should under interesting perturbations. With hundreds or thousands of degrees of freedom (either as rules or parameters), the dimensions of an ABM can rarely be explored using brute force. So I think that's what's needed are not more pretty IDEs and more featureful tookits to create ever more complex models (which are ever more hopeless to REALLY understand), but instead some usable and expressive formal model description techniques. Like with religion or political parties, merely having a standard platform just means that people can get accustomed to being confused in the same way.

To have any hope of having a formal model description language (especially one where a computer could be used for cognitive support), would mean getting away from imperative programming languages like C and Java in which side-effects on data are the norm, to functional or logic/functional programing languages where they are the exception (e.g. Haskell). To go from "stuff happening", to math..

Questions of computational and analytical tractability will always be relevant for agent-based models, but I think verification and validation can be made more transparent and automatic given the right formalisms, modeler discipline with the formalisms, and software support tools.

Marcus