Re: [Swarm-Modelling] [Fwd: Re: [ABMs in finance]

From: Pietro Terna
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] [Fwd: Re: [ABMs in finance]
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 00:43:52 +0200

At 07.25 26/04/2006, you wrote:
Pietro Terna wrote:
Some patterns seem to emerge just from the trading rules.
*********
Just to be clear, in this case the `trading rules' were not agent behaviors. The agents behaviors were assumed to be random, and the market mechanism, an order book, itself was modeled in a realistic way. This type of analytical model explained around 70% of the variance in the spread of book prices as a function of a set time-aggregated measurements from historical London Stock Exchange data -- different subsets of millions of observations per different stocks. Delving into the ecology of agents wasn't necessary.

This is in contrast to the approach of building up a simulation model like ASM and expecting to reproduce global phenomena from different ensembles and parameterizations of agent behaviors. I don't doubt there are situations where it is useful to do employ the synthetic ASM approach, but if an explanations seems simple from theory or data mining, perhaps it just is?