Some questions Re: [Swarm-Modelling] EcoLab implementation of Stupid Mod

From: krishnan raman
Subject: Some questions Re: [Swarm-Modelling] EcoLab implementation of Stupid Model
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 05:55:57 -0700 (PDT)

Prof. Russell Standish

I am very interested to know about Ecolab.
A few questions.

1) Can you please give a few examples of problems where you have found it useful to use Ecolab.    Do you have descriptive papers on these that you could send me copies of ?
2)  While running EcoLab, do I compile it as a project ?
Does this result in a .exe ?  ( Which, e.g., I could think of calling, with parameters, from another program).
  Does it require that I have some version of C++ on my PC ?

4)   I am trying to download EcoLab ( for a MS Windows environment), but have not yet been able to do so.  I am trying the Superb-East mirror ( McLean, Virginia, USA).
Any recommendations ?

Thanks.

K. Raman
====================================
Dr. K. Raman
43 Alderwood Drive
West Hartford (Connecticut)  06117
USA
email: address@hidden

Russell Standish <address@hidden> wrote:
Just a heads up that I have uploaded an EcoLab version of Railsback et
al.'s Stupid Model to the EcoLab website
(http://ecolab.sourceforge.net). This is a useful exercise in
providing a pedagogical model for learning how to use EcoLab, it provides
insights to me as a developer into what needs to be improved in EcoLab
and also provides a rather limited benchmark comparison between
different ABM platforms.

In the spirit of Railsback's paper, I didn't attempt to fix EcoLab's
shortcomings, but rather programmed to the existing publically
available version of the package (4.D20).

I don't seem to have edit priveleges on Swarm.org any more, otherwise
I'd create some links to the code.

I will be writing a more detailed report later, but I can summarise a
few of my findings.

1) EcoLab is about as easy to implement the StupidModel as reported by
Railsback et al for Repast and Mason. The first step took a little
longer, as there were no existing example models for using
Graphcode to implement spaces. Help for spaces is an area for
improvement.

2) Performance was about twice as fast as the Repast Java
implementation when run in batch mode. However, a small amount of
optimisation was needed to get this - first cut implementations
could be a lot slower. In GUI mode, EcoLab was substantially
slower, predominently due to the use of BLT widgets for
plotting. In summary, with modern Java virtual machines, the
performance penalty for using Java is not a significant factor.

3) I did a parallel version of the model, but did not get performance
improvements (I still haven't investigated this)

4) For agent based modeling, some form of smart pointer structure is
essential (Java's object reference model has this feature built
into the language). EcoLab has an undocumented "ref" class, which
wasn't up to the job, so I reimplemented this for StupidProject.

5) Using vectors of smart references seemed to be a natural way of
implementing scheduling - one can readily sort or randomise the
ordering of method calls using C++ standard library
functionality. StupidModel uses periodic scheduling, but aperiodic
scheduling should also be handled by means using sets of references
(I'll have a go at implementing some other classic models such as
the mousetrap).

Cheers

may safely ignore this attachment.