Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Distribution / Parallelization of ABM's

From: Gary Polhill
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Distribution / Parallelization of ABM's
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 12:36:36 +0100

Laszlo,

In the FEARLUS project we have been collaborating with colleagues at Aberdeen
University on semantic grid technologies for what you call 'inter-run'
parallelisations (it does a bit more than that, though). You can download some
conference papers at the FEARLUS-G website:
http://www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/research/fearg/ and there will be a paper in JASSS
sometime soon. Sadly, no live demo of the work yet, but we intend to correct
that situation in the not-too-distant future.

Gary

Gary Polhill
Research Scientist
The Macaulay Institute
Craigiebuckler
Aberdeen AB15 8QH
UK
Tel: +(44) (0)1224 498245 Ext 2238
Fax: +(44) (0)1224 311556
e-mail: address@hidden
http://www.macaulay.ac.uk/
http://www.macaulay.ac.uk/fearlus/
http://www.policygrid.org/
http://cfpm.org/caves/

>>> "Laszlo Gulyas" <address@hidden> 2006-10-06 12:32 >>>
[**** Apologies for cross-postings. ****]

Dear Colleagues,

We are compiling a survey on techniques to parallelize agent-based
simulations. We are interested in both in-run and inter-run
parallelizations (i.e., when one distributes the agents and when one
distributes individual runs in a parameter sweep), albeit I think, the
more challenging part is the former.

We are aware that in-run parallelization is a non-trivial task and, what's
more, it is likely that it cannot be done in general. Our approach is
trying to collect 'communication templates' that may make distribution  /
parallelization feasible. E.g., when the model is spatial and
comminication is (mostly) local, there are already works to do the job.
However, we foresee other cases when the problem can be solved.

As I said, we are now compiling a survey. We are aware of a few
publications and threads at various lists, but I'd like to ask you all to
send me references to such works if you know about them. (If you do not
have references, but have ideas that you are ready to share, please, do
not hesitate either.) Thank you all in advance!

For your information, our ultimate goal is to be able to run ABM's on the
grid -- which adds another layer of complication, namely the uncertainity
of resources and slower communication. But we will deal with that later!
;-)

Best regards,

Laszlo Gulyas (aka Gulya)
--
Gulyas Laszlo   |     Laszlo Gulyas
kut.ig.         |  dir. of research

Please note that the views expressed in this e-mail are those of the
sender and do not necessarily represent the views of the Macaulay
Institute. This email and any attachments are confidential and are
intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) to whom they are
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not read,
copy, disclose or rely on any information contained in this e-mail, and
we would ask you to contact the sender immediately and delete the email
from your system. Thank you.
Macaulay Institute and Associated Companies, Macaulay Drive,
Craigiebuckler, Aberdeen, AB15 8QH.