Re: [Swarm-Modelling] CFP: Evolutionary Computation and Multi-Agent Syst

From: vdperm
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] CFP: Evolutionary Computation and Multi-Agent Systems/Simulation Workshop
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 21:21:14 +0400

Dear Prof. Stonedahl,

My name is Dr. Perminov. I live and work in Moscow, Russia. I and my group in
Institute for Mathematical Modelling of Russian Academy of Sciences were
studying the influenza epidemic spread in large cities. We have constructed an
individual-based (or agent-based in other words) model for a simulation of the
outbeak, its consequences and possible interventions. Results obtained for a
small-scale model has been presented at different conferences. If you are
interested in you can find the corresponding paper on the
site:http://www.iemss.org/iemss2006,in the Proceedings, session 8. Main purpose
of this work was to show a robustness of the model and a possibility to
reproduce well-known peculiarities of the flu epidemic. Now the full-scale
model is ready for simulation, we have got interesting results that concern a
correct evaluation of the model parameters basing on available statistical data.

 Please answer me on two questions:

1. I am a leader of the group as a specially invited researcher on a voluntary
basis and the Institute may not send me to any business trip. So, I would be
ready to attend the conference on my own expenses and of course I would like to
minimize them. Is the Organization Committee able to help me in this
minimization "procedure" and give some financial support (for example by ticket
or by waving the registration fee and by help to find a quite inexpensive
accomodation)?

2. I have practically finished one interesting manuscript but corresponding
paper is quite short - about 3-4 pages. Does the statement in the
call-for-paper letter "less 8 pages" imply my case also?

Preliminary abstract:
It is well known that parameters evaluation for any mathematical model is
always very important and often very difficult problem. It is especially true
for agent-based models because as a rule the evaluation of an agent’s
parameters can be made only basing on available information from higher levels
of a complex system. As well known such problems can be ill-posed or even have
a non-unique solution. That is why there is no any general receipt for solving
these problems and a researcher has to search for it for any specific model
type.
In this paper a problem of the evaluation of getting infected probabilities for
different age groups during an influenza epidemic/pandemic in a city will be
considered. For solving this problem a regularization procedure using so called
illness attack rates for several age groups (cumulated numbers of infected
residents as functions of time) is proposed and validated. It can be used for
past epidemic to estimate an efficiency or inefficiency of undertaken
interventions, to propose new ones and to reveal their advantages and
shortcomings. It can be used also to model a possible dynamic of coming
epidemic if one has got illness attack rates in age groups for other city where
such an epidemic has already finished.

Yours sincerely,
Valeriy D. Perminov