swarm-support

Re: 1.2 pre-install help on MKL DR3

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: 1.2 pre-install help on MKL DR3
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 10:10:25 -0500

At 10:23 PM 7/9/98 -0700, you wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Trying upgrade to Swarm 1.2 on MKLinux DR3 (8500/120), and I keep running
> into a problem Miles Parker mentioned some time ago (4/13/98), i.e., the
> reluctance of BLT to locate/accept Tcl and Tk shared libs:
>
> >To amplify my comments about BLT 8.0: I haven't had any problems with
> >BLT itself, it was the configuration and installation process that was
> >a hairball. I ended up moving back to 7.6, 4.2, 2.1, because I
> >couldn't get BLT 8.0 unoff installed. I'm pretty much a unix sysadmin
> >newbie, so part of the problem is certainly mine. (And I realize I'm
> >complaining about a gift horse.) I'm going to revisit this, now that
> >I know I was on the right track. Someone mentioned that having the
> >Tcl/Tk source files available was neccesary. I actually got to this
> >point, but couldn't figure out how to tell the config script where
> >they were. I even tried moving some of these files to my /usr/include
> >(I know, this was a VERY BAD plan) but there are so many paths that
> >this quickly became a nightmare.
>
> The DR3 Redhat installer sets up Tcl & Tk 8.02 shared libs, so all my
> relevant files have the .so suffix, rather than the .a that the BLT config
> script seems to want. I've tried reinstalling Tcl and Tk from ppc SRPMs, but
> get nothing but core dump. Then I tried installing new Tcl / Tk sources from
> Scriptics (in /usr with -shared and -gcc enabled), and came up with the
> following error at tcl configure:

Tom,

I can't speak to the specifics of MkLinux, since I don't have the relevant
hardware, but as far as installing BLT, I just went through that myself:

a) I found that indeed I did have to have the tcl and tk sources available
(contrary to Paul's experience!)
b) After going into the relevant blt subdirectory .../unix/Linux and running
../configure with the relevant options, I had to edit the resulting
'config.BLT' file because the tcl/tk files had not been located.
b.1) as far as the library files, RedHat 5.1 also has .so instead of .a files,
located in /usr/lib. I just set "TCLLIBDIR=/usr/lib" and "TKLIBDIR=/usr/lib",
and that seems to work fine.
b.2) for the files tcl.h and tk.h, I pointed to the relevant places in the
source directories, viz.: "TCLINCDIR=/usr/src/tcl8.0/generic" and
"TKINCDIR=/usr/src/tk8.0/generic" (change as needed for your system).
c) Then rerun ../configure again, with the same options as before, to get the
correct makefiles made. (In my case, the whole command line was "# CC=egcs
LIBS=-lpthread ../configure --prefix=/santafe/5.1".)
d) then 'make' and 'make install' and things should work. (I didn't run 'make
check', but heatbugs do the right thing so I'm happy ...)

Hope some of this is relevant,
--Sven

   with "help" in the body of the message.