swarm-swarmfest2005

[Swarmfest2005] Swarmfest 2005 proposal

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: [Swarmfest2005] Swarmfest 2005 proposal
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:33:44 -0500

Dear Pietro:

Last week I presented the attached paper (with my colleague Erik Herron) at the Midwest Political Science Association. The attached paper is about parliamentary elections in which the system allows voters to select candidates in both single member districts (SMD) and parties in a proportional election (PR). These so-called "mixed electoral systems" were adopted in several countries during the 1990s.

The simulation (in Swarm) is intended to ascertain the extent to which the political behavior of candidates, parties, and voters in one side of the system (SMD or PR) influences results in the other side. The results obtained so far are suggestive, but we have only scratched the surface. While running the model simulations during March on 4 Pentium IV computers, we generated 40 Gigabytes of data on runs with various parameter settings.

At Swarmfest I hope to present a technically concise write-up of the model along with a survey of findings. This is a paper that I would hope to publish in a simulation-oriented journal, such as the Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation.

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504