swarm-swarmfest2005

RE: [Swarmfest2005] extented deadline

From: Burkhart Roger M
Subject: RE: [Swarmfest2005] extented deadline
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:03:31 -0500

Pietro and Steve wrote:
>>         At present we have 12 papers and 15 participants. In case,
we'll
>> have a one day meeting. I hope that the Rick' guess will be
confirmed.

>We are also having a low response to the conference we are hosting at
the
>same time. One problem is that air fares are expensive now. (And of
course
>the dollar is worth about what a lira used to be--but Pietro's
SwarmFest
>is still inexpensive.)

I had really looked forward to a trip to Torino for SwarmFest this
year, but apart from air fares I have a bunch of deadlines piling up
right at that time for some work I've been involved in for a couple
years now, so the scheduling for me just wasn't possible.

It's good to hear you have the flexibility to scale back to a one-day
schedule or adjust as necessary after another week of further
and completed in one day, one suggestion might be to propose some
breakout or special topic discussions that those staying over might
still continue on at least the morning of the second day. Many of
the most interesting discussions at SwarmFest are often held outside
the actual paper sessions, and some self-organized discussion groups
might generate some real results of their own.

However the schedule works out, best wishes for a successful event in
whatever shape it takes this year. (Not that we've ever had any
particularly rigid mold before.) Perhaps our SDG discussions can lead
to some announcements we can add to this year's Fest, and have it
serve as a further transition to the unusual form of gathering that
SwarmFest always provides.

--Roger