swarm-swarmfest2005

RE: [Swarmfest2005] Fwd: review

From: Pietro Terna
Subject: RE: [Swarmfest2005] Fwd: review
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 21:56:35 +0200

        Dear Roger,

        my replies are below,

        yours, Pietro

At 16.53 28/04/2005, you wrote:
Pietro--

In your document summarizing the paper review status, I don't
find the paper by Dal Forno and Merlone, "Selecting team members:
a computational model for studying network dynamics."  It's a
28-page paper looking at behavioral components that drive the
formation or cohesion of project teams, which is a good
organizational topic, includes a computational model to look at
multiple behavioral dimensions, and IMO should be accepted.

        I support your opinion and sign myself for acceptance.

You have fixed a terrible error. I've copied the file on line and missed to copy it in my local folder, so for me it was completely lost. On the contrary, I appreciate the paper.

To excuse my error I've to tell you that I'm in a terrible overcharged working period and I've reduced my sleeping time to three ours per day ...

Our general policy for SwarmFest acceptance has been to accept any
topic that looks at some kind of interesting question or issue by
means of an agent model of some kind.  We try to apply the spirit of
crossing all conventional disciplinary barriers, since this is the
uniqueness of SwarmFest.  Accordingly, if a paper or abstract topic
looks coherent at all, and adds to the variety of topics to be
included, our default has usually been to accept a paper, and fit
them into as many slots as we can fit.  This has sometimes forced
us into speaker slots as short as 20 minutes, which is far from
ideal, but may be less of a constraint this year.  Even so,
allowing for 30 minute speaker slots, the current total of 16
submitted papers, plus two new abstracts just proposed, plus a
keynote and any opening/closing slots, already could spill over
past one day if we don't find submissions that offer clear criteria
for rejection.  We could ask that some of them be presented only
as posters, but if there's time available in the schedule there's
no reason they couldn't also be presented, perhaps in shorter time
slots.

        I agree completely.

I haven't had time to participate in paper review up-to-now, but the
recent ones submitted or mentioned make me wish I could arrange to
attend this year.

        Is that true? Hurrah!!!

The abstract by Andreas Kaempf, "Teaching Ants to
Drive: An agent-based model of the UK automobile market," just
submitted under the extended deadline, would definitely be
interesting to me, dealing with agent models for commercial product
markets, and the value of agent-based methods vs. system dynamics.
The two topics just sketched by El Doker, a "UAV swarm" and "A
Swarm of ROBOSAPIEN bipedal robot to fight fires," combine agents
with engineering of real physical systems, and he even offers to
distribute a tool and bring real robots with them (which could
provide a nice break in the routine with live demos).  If he can
submit a couple actual abstracts, it would be worth including both,
perhaps with the graduate thesis on the UAV swarm as a poster.

        I agree!

Tyler Freeman's abstract, "From the ground up: are farmers cultivating
the seeds of change," is the one that probably has the most direct
job-related interest to me, to understand changing roles in agriculture.
Paul already included it in talks he'd like to hear, and while I was
writing this message I see I've crossed messages with further reviews
by Rick and Steve, but these I've looked at so far meet the basic
standard we've generally applied.  If I get a chance by this weekend
I'll try to help look at remaining papers we haven't had any feedback
on yet.

        OK.

Once we have a program perhaps we can twist arms as Paul suggests,
and keep selling through other channels to try to get as many as
possible to register and attend.

        Wonderful.

--Roger