swarm-swarmfest2005

RE: [Swarmfest2005] review process

From: Burkhart Roger M
Subject: RE: [Swarmfest2005] review process
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 13:08:23 -0500

Pietro--

I looked at the same three papers Rick looked at and I concur
with his acceptance:

> I took a look at
>  cappellini
>  lamieri
>   coulon
> and they all should be accepted.

The Cappellini and Raimondi paper is of special interest to me
because of their trying out the commercial agent tool AnyLogic
along with the Swarm.  This tool has come up several times the
last 5-6 months from people I've heard applying it to some real
problems.  It's from XJ Technologies (http://www.xjtek.com/) out
of St. Petersburg, Russia, who bills themselves as "Multi-paradigm
simulation solutions" with particular mention of hybrids of
system dynamics, discrete-event, and agent-based simulation.  It
would be interesting to hear what their experience has been and
the degree to which the AnyLogic agent simulation resembles Swarm
and its successors.

I looked at the Ietri & Lamieri paper and recommend its acceptance
as well.  In addition to its look at economic networks and markets,
it's noteworthy for its start toward a general-purpose simulation
framework for this domain.  Building domain-specific frameworks for
Swarm or other toolkits remains an uncompleted potential, even
though it's been promoted for the economics field in particular in
the "Economic Simulations using Swarm" books.

With Steve's across-the board recommendation I think we have
consensus that all these papers should be accepted.  In your
review status document, you can remove the question mark on my
recommendation of the two El Doker robot abstracts.  You can add
my name to the Kaempf abstract which I also recommended already.

With the deadline being today it looks like the program selection
is complete.  At this point I'd suggest you just go ahead starting
to line up the slots into a schedule over Monday and possibly
Tuesday.  We probably should go ahead and publish a tentative
program with abstracts to encourage more people to register and
attend, through all the channels we can find.

--Roger