swarm-swarmfest2006

Re: [Swarmfest2006] NAACSOS speakers

From: Greg Madey
Subject: Re: [Swarmfest2006] NAACSOS speakers
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 13:13:32 -0400

Steve,

NAACSOS has two invited speakers: Steven Bankes (CTO for Evolving Logic, Inc and Professor at the Rand Graduate School) and Les Gasser (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign).

I propose that Les Gasser be a speaker for NAACSOS on Thursday and Steven Bankes be a speaker on Friday for the shared conference day between both NAACSOS and SwarmFest.

Steve Bankes' abstract is below.

My understanding is that Gary An will speak on Friday also? Perhaps the remaining SwarmFest invited speakers can be scheduled on Saturday?

Greg

Anticipatory Modeling: Robust Inference in Computational Social Science
Steve Bankes
Evolving Logic/RAND

The world faces profound social, economic, environmental, and technological transitions. How we choose to meet our challenges – stemming global terror, halting the spread of AIDS and other infectious diseases, achieving sustainable development, managing new genetic technologies, etc. -- will resonate throughout the 21st century. Models of social-political behavior can be informative in understanding these problems, and can be used to anticipate possible future developments and the possible implications of contemplated actions. Their value can be greatly enhanced by the use of robust inference in the design and analysis of computational experiments using them. Techniques have proven their utility including the use of co-evolutionary mechanisms to seek in parallel robust conclusions and cases that maximally stress them, and the use of machine learning techniques to infer human interpretable generalizations from the results of thousands or millions of experiments. These methods harness computation not to solve the intractable problem of predicting the long-term future, but instead to enable a fundamentally different, more sensible question: Given what we know today, how should we act to best shape the future to our liking? Our greatest potential influence for shaping the future may often be precisely over those time scales where our gaze is most dim.