swarm-swarmfest2007

[Swarmfest2007] Update on SwarmFest

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: [Swarmfest2007] Update on SwarmFest
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:03:47 -0800

Hi-

An update on housing for SwarmFest. "University Center" is a dormitory in downtown Chicago that serves DePaul and other universities. They have cheap rooms available for SwarmFest, so we are making arrangements to reserve them. (E.g., single rooms with shared bath are $56.)
http://www.universitycenter.com/conferences/housing/index.html

There is some risk: we have to reserve a certain number of rooms and put a deposit of 25% of the reserved room fees down. Then, as the conference date approaches we have to put down more of the total fee, and pay for all rooms by 10 days before SwarmFest.

Steve Lytinen is seeing whether his department at DePaul can cover the initial 25% deposit, but if not we will have to.

This means we will have to keep on schedule and make registration happen in a timely way, and be prepared to put some of our money down if needed before we collect registration fees.

We can increase the number of rooms reserved as we go, but cannot decrease the number reservations after 90 days beforehand (which is about 2 weeks from now). So there is a risk that if attendance is much lower than expected we will have to pay for the unused rooms.

Currently we're estimating 32 people in single rooms and 16 people in double rooms. I'll let you know what our commitment is before we sign it.

I want to make sure the board is aware of this and can comment.

Steve

--
Steve Railsback
Lang, Railsback & Associates