synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] (kind of) release of 0.30

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] (kind of) release of 0.30
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 23:03:21 +0100

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 01:13:14PM +0200, Sviatoslav Sviridov wrote:
> > I have taged the current cvs version as debian_rel_0_30 and uploaded
> > this version to debian/unstable. I will not announce this release on
> > freshmeat until it gets a bit of testing inside debian. The gui is
> > complettly reworked and it certainly has some bugs. But the real
> > problem is that I can't test the rpm version myself (as I don't have
> > a rpm distro to test). So I would love to get feedback from the rpm
> > users if it compiles at all (or better yet if it works :).
> Great! It works :) I've got some segfaults, but it works. I'll perform more
> testing later, may be in next year :)

Thanks a lot for your testing. I noticed one obvious bug in the rpm
version, in rgmainwindow.cc, line 1490:
#if !defined(DEBUGUI) || defined(HAVE_RPM)
-   _showUpdateInfo = true; // xxx conectiva only, for now
+   _showUpdateInfo = false; // mvo: for now
#else

> And some feature requests:
> - it would be nice to have one button/menu command for uncheck all "programmed
> changes". the way of selecting all and pressing "keep" performs dependency
> checking for every unchecked package and this takes a lot of time when many
> packages to update.

That's a great idea, I put it on my TODO list and will implement it in
one of the next versions.

> - it stil doesn't handle case where pkglists are not available at synaptic
> startup. It's needed to make "apt-get update", and then start synaptic

Right, this definitly needs fixing. I just hadn't had time for this
one yet :/

> - I think it's neede to change installation process on rpm-based systems. now
> it start rpm for every package. but no information about current package in
> progress window. It's better to allow rpm install all packages in one command.
> In this case would be nice to have progress for current package and for
> overall process of installation (rpm shows this with --fancypercent option).
> And it whould be good to handle configuration options in apt.config that adds
> some options to rpm.
> APT now can order packages for installation by itself, but it has problems, so
> I have always RPM::Order=true in apt.config. I think it's better is synaptic
> will process this option and give to rpm all packages to install at one
> command. As for implementation, i think it's possible to use
> pkgRPMPM::ExecRPM() to run rpm process and parse it's output.

Thanks for this hints. I have no expertise in this area. I hope
Gustavo can give me a hand with implementing this issue. AFAIK he's on
vacation right now.

> Thanx for good work!
> And happy new year! :)

Thanks you!
Happy new year for you, too :)

bye,
 Michael

--
"Computers are not intelligent.  They only think they are."
        -- Martin Schulze