synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] How to remove package *without* it trying to upgrad

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] How to remove package *without* it trying to upgrade dependent packages
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:25:26 +0200

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 03:29:07PM -0400, Andy Elvey wrote:
> Hi all -
Hi Andy,

>   I've been using Synaptic for a while, and it's a *great* package! "Well
> done" to the developers :-)

Thanks, great to hear.

>   I do, however, have a problem.  ( I'm running Mepis Linux, kernel 2.6.4,
> Synaptic version 0.50 ) .
>
>  My problem is that I have gcc 3.4.1 installed, and I want to remove the
> other
> (old) versions of gcc that are on the system ( I don't know why the old
> versions are there - they came with the distro.  Anyway ... )
>   When I marh gcc 3.3 for removal, and then click on "apply",  Synaptic says
> that it will remove gcc 3.3, *but* it *also* says that it will *upgrade* a
> number of packages at the same time!  Arrrrrgh ... :-))

This usually happens when a installed package (say A) depends on
libgcc from gcc3.3 and the available (latest) package of A depends on
a libgcc from gcc3.4. When gcc3.3 is removed, A would need to be
removed as well. Synaptic (libapt) detects this and upgrades A so that
it depends on the version from 3.4. If A itself has other
dependencies, more package may need updating.

It would be interessting if this is the case for your packages as
well :)

>  All I want to do is *remove* gcc 3.3, ( and if necessary, *all* packages
> that
> depend on it - there are only six or so ).  I do *not* want Synaptic to try
> to upgrade packages that depend on the package I'm removing!  ( That
> behaviour strikes me as bizarre .... :-)
>
>  So, is there any way of *forcing* Synaptic to remove gcc 3.3 and all of its
> dependencies, so that it will not try to do any upgrades of the dependent
> packages?

Not really. I have a "remove with dependencies" options on my todo
list for a long time now. The problem is that the removal must be
"smart" in order to avoid the removal of importend stuff.

Cheers,
 Michael

--
The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ