synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] 0.53: Are the filters conjunctive or disjunctive?

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] 0.53: Are the filters conjunctive or disjunctive?
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 12:42:52 +0200

Hi Joseph,

sorry for my late reply.

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 12:32:32PM +0200, Joseph Reagle wrote:
>  I just upgraded from an earlier version (the version from the previous
> KNOPPIX) and custom filter that I used to show me the upgradable packages
> that I cared about no longer works.  It appears that in an earlier version
> any package description inclusions was disjunctive, but now all the
> conditions must be met: meaning that no package is going to meet the
> criteria of being called KDE, and openoffice, and xine, and mplayer, etc.

Yes, this behaviour changed in the past. The best way is probably to
add a flag to the filter if it should work in a AND or OR way. I'll
add it to the todo list. It's actually not very hard to do.

Attached is a diff that adds a config-option for AND or OR mode. You
can start synaptic with:

Current behaviour:
# synaptic -o Synaptic::Filters::andMode=false

or OR mode:
synaptic -o Synaptic::Filters::andMode=true

If you like this approach (the genral idea, not the implementation
with a commandline switch), I'll later move it into synaptic and make
it a pattern filter GUI option (help is welcome here as I'm a bit
short on time).

thanks,
 Michael

--
The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ