synaptic-devel

[Synaptic-devel] New release 0.56

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] New release 0.56
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 11:59:11 +0200

Dear Friends,

I'm happy to announce the new 0.56 version of synaptic. It took a
while but it's finally out.

The biggest features in this release are the support for the
debian/ubuntu apt-0.6 (aka apt-secure) code.  It is also possible
(with patched versions of apt and dpkg) to hide the output of dpkg and
show a progress bar instead. And a "history" window was added that
will list the history of the package transactions.

A big thanks to all the hard-working translators that made this
release one of the best ones l10n-wise :)

You can get the source at the usual place:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/synaptic/synaptic-0.56.tar.gz

The NEWS:
 - "History" added (log of what changed)
 - Sources in the sources.list editor can be moved Up and Down
   (thanks to Norberto Lopes)
 - new configure switch "--with-apt-authentication"
 - new configure switch "--with-nice-dpkg-status"
 - HIGified the old "Expert" Preferences
 - switched to gtk2.4 file dialogs
 - new runtime switch "--add-cdrom /dev/xxx"
 - new runtime switch "--dist-upgrade-mode"
 - new runtime switch "--update-at-startup"
 - autoclean cache by default now
 - Translation updates:
   * Danish (da): Thanks to Morten Brix Pedersen
   * Dutch (nl): Thanks to Vincent van Adrighem
   * Greek (el): Thanks to Kostas Papadimas
   * Italian (it): Thanks to Marco Colombo
   * Catalan (ca): Thanks to Jordi Mallach
   * Hungarian (hu): Thanks to Gabor Kelemen
   * Spanish (es): Thanks to Jorge Bernal
   * Lithuanian (lt): Thanks to Zygimantas Berucka
   * Russian (ru): Thanks to Vitaly Lipatov
   * Chinese (zh_CN): Thanks to Liu Songhe
   * Turkish (tr): Thanks to  Erçin EKER
   * Macedonian (mk): Thanks to Arangel Angov
   * French (fr): Thanks to Jean-Luc Coulon
   * Xhosa (xh): Thanks to Canonical Ltd

(I really hope that I haven't forgotten to credit any of the
translators that send updates during the 0.56 release-cycle).

Feedback is welcome! I didn't tested this release on a rpm system
(lack of resources). If you find problems with it on rpm based
systems, please report them, we'll then try to get a maintenance
release out quickly then.

Cheers,
 Michael