synaptic-devel

[Synaptic-devel] suggestion: bookmarks

From: Thomas Leveil
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] suggestion: bookmarks
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 00:42:06 +0000

Hi folks,

I discovered Synaptic a month ago with Ubuntu Breezy and I must say Synaptic is the software I run the most after Firefox :) Until now, I was dazzled and couldn't think of any suggestion.... I must now be a more experienced user of Synaptic as I slowly become more exigent.

Last weekend, I installed Ubuntu Dapper, and kept a few of my partitions in common between my two breezy: /home and /usr/local. When I started Dapper, I extensively used Synaptic, and I had to find back all the good software I had installed on Breezy. And, to be honest, I couldn't remember the name of quite a lot of them.

So here's my idea: In addition to the 4 buttons (Sections, Status, Search and Custom) I would love to have a bookmark manager. I would be allowed to right-click any package I love and add them to my bookmarks. Those bookmarks being saved somewhere in ~/.synaptic.

That way, the next time I will install a system, I just have to copy my bookmark file to the new system, and Synaptic does all the work alone saving me a lot of time and frustration.

What do you think ? Is there any drawback I'm missing ?

Thomas Leveil