synaptic-devel

[Synaptic-devel] Feature request / idea

From: Michael Gruys
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] Feature request / idea
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 22:54:58 +0200

First, my compliments about the current version of synaptic,, It's a
great piece of software!
I have an idea / request about new feature to implement in synaptic.I
hope this is the right place for it.
It just an idea, maybe it is completely impossible to realize.
Is it possible to provide an option (in the synaptic gui interface and
/ or command line) which download the source instead of the binary and
compile & and install it with (user defined) optimization? I hear a
lot of users complain about packages which are not compiled the way
they wanted (i.e. optimization/specific processor) . Of course they
could do a apt-get source /manually download the source and compiled
it, the way they want, and make a package of it and install it. But it
look to me an exciting new option to implement in the synaptic
package.
Regards,
Michael Gruys
Eindhoven