synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] synaptic locking out password

From: Eric Duveau
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] synaptic locking out password
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 13:55:03 +0100

Michael,

I have thought about chattr but

I have to test it anyway.
Thank you for your email.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 8:33 AM, Michael Vogt <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:37:31PM +0100, Eric Duveau wrote:
> Hi,
Hi,

> I would like to install dansguardian + iptables + tinyproxy packages
> (parental control ) via synaptic.
>
> My kid would like to use it to install new packages. (he will use sudo
> synaptic)
>
> Is there a possibility to lockout dansguardian + iptables + tinyproxy
> packages so that they cannot be removed using synaptic.
> I am thinking of a secund admin password...

This is currently not possible with synaptic - you could try to use
chattr and set the "immutable" attributes on the file for those
packages. But I have no tested if that really works (if dpkg will
refuse to install/remove the package then).

Another alternative is "rapt"
(https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~mvo/+junk/rapt). It allows you to
prevent the user from removing packages. But its commandline so
probably not the right solution for your kid.

Cheers,
 Michael