synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] modification request

From: Vít Pelčák
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] modification request
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 11:55:15 +0100

> The problem is that when the search term box is empty, Synaptic displays all
> packages. With a slow connection (wifi on a laptop, say) this can be quite a
> lag.

That is IMHO completely unrelated to Internet connection as your local
database (ie. the one you download via Refresh or apt-get update) is
searched only.

> My workaround is to type the new term at the end of the old one, and then
> hit 'home' and delete the first term. It doesn't feel very natural, and I
> often forget.
> If I can suggest a solution - have the quick search wait to update the
> display a second or so - particularly when the text in the box is .. say ...
> 2 characters or less. Just a thought.

What if term was searched only when 2 (or 3) characters are written?
It makes no sense to search for packages containing less than 3 chars
and search takes quite a time. I agree.