sysvinit-devel

Re: [sysvinit-devel] Is pidof moving?

From: Petter Reinholdtsen
Subject: Re: [sysvinit-devel] Is pidof moving?
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 12:52:43 +0100

[Craig Small]
> Hi There,
>   I'm writing this as the Debian procps packager.  I hope you can clear
> something up for me. Please CC me as I'm not on the list.

Hi.

> I got some emails saying that pidof is moving from sysvinit-tools or
> sysvinit-utils and needed a home, so I (as procps upstream) agreed
> that it can have a home there.
>
> When I discussed how this would work within Debian, there was some
> confusion about it going at all?  I  couldn't see much in your email
> list about this happening.

The sysvinit upstream project have not discussed moving or removing
pidof.

> Is there two projects? One for RedHat and one for others?

Well, we have picked patches from at least redhat, suse and debian to
integrate into this new upstream sysvinit project.  But I do not know
if Redhat have pulled sysvinit from this upstream project.  The
sysvinit upstream project was created by the Debian and SuSe
maintainer after many years without any upstream project, to have a
gathering point for patches that made sense across all distributions.

So I do not know what RedHat plans, nor if they consider this sysvinit
project their upstream.

> Is pidof moving? Are there plans to remove killall5 which shares a
> lot of its code as well?

We have no suck plans.  It has simply not been discussed.  Personally,
I am not attached to the programs, and would be happy to see them in
other packages if that make sense.

I suspect pidof and killall5 should stick together, as they are the
same binary, so it do not make sense to move pidof but not killall5.

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen