sysvinit-devel

Re: [sysvinit-devel] Could not determine runlevel

From: Jesse Smith
Subject: Re: [sysvinit-devel] Could not determine runlevel
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 14:08:49 -0300

> I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong when I try to reboot
> or shutdown, I get this message:
>
> "WARNING: Could not determine runlevel - doing a soft reboot"
>
> I am missing something? or how it is that sysvinit determines the
> runlevel in which is currently?.

This message is displayed by the "halt" command when it cannot find
init's runlevel, which is stored in a file. Typically this happens if
halt cannot read from /var/run/utmp. You might want to check if the file
exists and is readable by the user trying to halt the system.

Alternatively, you can try using the "shutdown" command in place of
"halt". Running "shutdown -P -h now" is approximately the equivalent of
using "halt".

If those steps don't work, please let us know which version of init you
are running and any other error messages which are displayed.

Jesse