sysvinit-devel

Re: [sysvinit-devel] Reading runlevel without utmp

From: Petter Reinholdtsen
Subject: Re: [sysvinit-devel] Reading runlevel without utmp
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2018 08:31:49 +0200

[Jesse Smith]
> Today I pushed new code to the git "2.91" branch which makes init (and
> its associated tools) write the current runlevel to a log file
> (/var/run/runlevel). Having this information here, as well as in utmp,
> lets us check/confirm the current runlevel on systems that do not
> support utmp. This should come in handy on platforms like FreeBSD and
> Linux distros that use the musl C library.

Personally, I believe it to be a really bad idea to duplicate the
runlevel information in several locations, and would have instead
choosen to simply state that systems without utmp(x) suppport are broken
and need to get utmp support before they will work properly with
sysvinit.  utmpx is part of POSIX.

How do you handle systems where /var/run/utmp and /var/run/runlevel
differ?  Who to believe?

Btw, isn't /run/ the proposed location these days?  Why /var/run/?

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen