Re: [Taler] Wallet security

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] Wallet security
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 23:40:13 +0100

[Again, these discussions belong on the mailinglist...]

Hi Nils,

Technically, threshold signatures are nothing terribly new, and you are
right that we could probably implement them for Taler.

However, I don't see them being useful for Taler: They reduce usability
WAY too much.  Also, unlike BitCoin, a Taler user can decide to only
hold a fraction of his cash in Taler -- and leave the rest at the bank.
So the risk of a compromise is much smaller to begin with.  With
bitcoin, everything is in your digital wallet(s), so the need to protect
it is higher.

So for Bitcoin -- a speculative currency for *investing* -- this makes
sense. Taler is a payment system where the currency you hold is expected
to be spend (there is no point in keeping the digital coins around for
speculation), so I think it makes much less sense.

My 2 cents

Christian