Re: [Taler] reduce attack surface (Case 2)

From: Florian Dold
Subject: Re: [Taler] reduce attack surface (Case 2)
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 18:13:35 +0200

Hi Fabian,

thanks for the suggestion, maybe we should include some clarification
for this case in the paper.

Here is why I don't think the attack on taxability you described is
viable:  The mint has incentives to provide a fake hint, since if a
customer can't reveal the values for some index, the mint gets to keep
the money for the coin.  It would be too risky for the mint to sign the
hint in any way (so that an illicit buyer/seller can prove to other
illicit buyers/seller that the mint cheats at cheating), since once this
signature finds its way to the auditors, the mint would be punished.

Similarly, the mint could make it look like the illicit buyer is the
sole owning entity of a coin, while the illicit seller actually can
still link to it.

The trust necessary among all three parties (mint, illicit seller,
illicit buyer) in this kind of transaction is so high that it might be
easier to just do a transaction-by-sharing in the first place.

Cheers,
Florian