Re: [Taler] minor changes

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] minor changes
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 16:08:40 +0200

On 10/14/2015 02:52 PM, Marcello Stanisci wrote:
>> Yes, but this education should appear in the interface, not merely in
>> some documentation that nobody reads.
>
> What if this education would be based on monetary interest, rather than
> just on an advice?
>
> Let's say that in the act of withdrawing the user pays an additional,
> smallish fee (something like a caution), and WLOG the mint returns that
> caution back to the user (by the mean of something like a refresh) if he
> spends the coins on the 15th of any month, or at 9PM of any day.

Too complicated and confusing, this will be seen as an attempt to
rip-off the customer, especially as in practice we'll need withdraw fees
of zero in most cases.

I do like Jeff's idea with color codes and mouse-overs better, even
though those can at best be hints and not be relied upon as the specific
delays and colors are best ad-hoc heuristics and not scientific.  That's
kind-of the main problem: you want to avoid visually reinforcing
perceived security unless there is a real difference.  Maybe we can
simply not make the moves from green/yellow/red to be 'binary', but
gradual (but of course the text has to be switched at deterministic points).

Anyway, that's a feature for a release down the line, and we should move
the discussion of the details into the bugtracker.