[Taler] managing shared web resources

From: Florian Dold
Subject: [Taler] managing shared web resources
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 19:45:27 +0100

Hi,

right now there's a bit of code duplication in the Taler components that
are web services (bank / article shop / project donation shop / demo
landing page).

I'm wondering what's the best way do manage these shared resources, the
two obvious solutions are:

a) have one repository for all shared resources and serve it from
somewhere on http://taler.net/.  All other sub-projects would then have
hard-coded links to these resources.

b) have a repository that is used as a git submodule [1] inside all
dependant repos.  This way we don't have any hard-coded links, and it is
easier to use minifiers or other source transformation tools (since
there are less external links).  I don't have any experience with using
git submodules, so maybe others can chime in here ...

While (b) would allow for less caching (multiple locations for mostly
the same resource), there won't be any versioning problems when
different components need different versions of the same asset (think
about our stable / test setup).  So I'm strongly for (b), unless
somebody has a good argument against it.

Examples for these shared resources are design things (css, logos,
images, ...) but also code (like the common wallet presence detection).

We also should consider moving the demo landing page out of the
wallet.git repo, it's really not the right place!

Cheers,
Florian

[1] https://git-scm.com/docs/git-submodule