[Taler] logging in the wallet

From: Florian Dold
Subject: [Taler] logging in the wallet
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 18:02:28 +0100

Hi,

since I'm looking at the error handling in the wallet right now, I'm
also thinking about logging.

Right now we're using console.{log,warn,error} for logging, so basically
the stuff that the browser gives us.

I'm not sure if it makes sense to do our own logging, or how we should
use logging in the wallet in general.  But I do often find myself adding
debugging log statements and deleting them soon after I've fixed
something, since there is no way to filter logs by some tag or other
criteria.  This doesn't feel like the right approach ;-)

Also browser logs are somewhat "decentralized" in the sense that there
is no central view for logs from background pages and e.g. the stuff
that injected content scripts log.

Any thoughts?  Should we have our own logging?

Other people [1] have already figured out how to do the stuff we need
for logging so that it works cross-browser.

- Florian

[1] http://www.paulirish.com/2009/log-a-lightweight-wrapper-for-consolelog/