Re: [Taler] Hello

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: Re: [Taler] Hello
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 20:13:35 +0100

Apologies if this point was made clear up thread, but..

Taler's refresh is a new blind signature operation, so the anonymity set
would be computed exactly like for the original withdrawal.  In
principle, a stranger total value for the refresh "withdrawal" creates a
slightly unusual stash of coins, but I doubt this impacts anonymity
much.

A customer should not communicate with the exchange anytime close to
their transaction, but obviously such delays between their transaction
and refresh do mean that they hold money in their wallet that they
cannot use.  This is why it would be better to do the refresh via the
merchant, as we have planned for NFC payments, but it adds round trips
between the customer and merchant and between the merchant and exchange,
so we have not done it that way for now.

We could attempt to refresh the exact change into the wallet before the
transaction, but that would slow down the transaction horrendously,
making the system less usable for digital content.

Jeff