Re: [Taler] Synchronization and backup

From: Florian Dold
Subject: Re: [Taler] Synchronization and backup
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 15:15:58 +0100

On Feb 16, 2018 06:11, "Jeff Burdges" <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, 2018-02-16 at 04:58 +0100, Florian Dold wrote:
> Are you saying we should not include a multi-device synchronization
> functionality at all?

Yes, there are way too many nasty failure modes without any clear unique
benefits realized by normal users.  Afaik sync cannot be made user
friendly.

This is where we fundamentally disagree. Sync is user-friendly and useful in plenty of other products. Let's hear other people's opinions and ask what non-technical people would expect.

My prediction is, if we implement only backups and no proper multi-device sync, somebody else will do it on top of our wallets, there will be two incompatible backup/sync systems and it will suck.

Right now we have the opportunity to design backup/sync right from the start, and we should take it.

- Florian