[Taler] Lattice-Based E-Cash

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: [Taler] Lattice-Based E-Cash
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 20:05:58 +0200

I have not actually read much of this paper, but worth mentioning its existence:
https://eprint.iacr.org/2017/856.pdf

There are good odds any PRF based scheme will encounters the minor issues
previously discussed around Oblivious PRF schemes, as mentioned in
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/taler/2017-11/msg00001.html

In this case, I think their signing primitive falls somewhere between a
signature and a PRF, not sure, but actually obfuscating all inputs from the
signer sounds unlikely to be information theoretically secure.  Also, I have
not read enough to know if their zero-knowledge argument of knowledge scheme is
information theoretically blinding.  If not for either one, then anonymity is
technically weaker under their proposal, making it riskier if quantum computers
are believed unlikely.  I previously highlighted this issues in
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/taler/2016-06/msg00019.html

Also, the paper does stuff like deanonymize double spenders, which we know to
be unrealistic crypto-for-crypto in the usual payment context, but that’s
merely unnecessary and not an obstacle.

Jeff