Re: [Taler] recurring payments

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] recurring payments
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 06:20:54 +0100

On 1/22/19 11:09 PM, David Kleuker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is it planned to support recurring payments?

It's not on our immediate list. Recurring payments are tricky:
1) wallet needs to be online (and have sufficient balance)
2) recurring payments are inherently linkable, and thus can void
   your anonymity

So setting up such payments would have to come with some big disclaimers
for the user ("they can fail if you are offline", "they fail if you do
not have enough coins in your wallet and ignore warnings", "they may
allow someone to identify you as the person making the payment by
observation over time").

> That's nothing you can do with your real world wallet, but highly useful
> online.
>
> For example, i would like to support all the free software projects i
> use with a small, monthly donation.
>
> I use Liberapay for that, but they have to use PayPal and Stripe.
>
> But they consider supporting
> Taler: https://github.com/liberapay/liberapay.com/issues/1309

Great ;-)

> The answer might be helpful in the FAQ.