Re: [Taler] Taler dev setup

From: Florian Dold
Subject: Re: [Taler] Taler dev setup
Date: Sun, 5 May 2019 13:51:09 +0200

On 5/3/19 8:42 AM, Lukas Großberger wrote:
> 1) Is it feasible and reasonable to set up every repo stand alone? This
> would make it easier for people starting out to contribute to Taler. If
> so, can we jointly create documentation for each repo on how to do this?

I'm not 100% sure I understand this question correctly.  We have two
main types of dependencies:  (1) source-level dependencies managed by
git submodules, and (2) package-level dependencies.

For dependencies of type (2) you currently have to build a lot of them
manually.  Is this what you mean by not being able to set up every repo
stand-alone?

This inconvenience will eventually be resolved by having packaged
versions for our dependencies.  This just hasn't been a priority for us
so far, and the first package manager that will have packages for GNU
Taler is likely to be GNU Guix.

At some point we had a working docker file for a Taler demo setup,
though it is currently not maintained.

> 2.1) How do you, core developers, set up your local development
> environment? Do you have one dedicated machine where you do the system
> wide setup and nothing else, a VM, possibly a dockerized version?

I personally have dependencies for Taler and GNUnet development compiled
manually on my development machine with --prefix=$HOME/local.  Except of
course for those where a recent version is packaged in my GNU/Linux
distribution.

> 2.2) How do you deal with submodule dependencies when you are actually
> developing on the submodule? I now symlinked to web-common in place of
> the original submodule, which seems hacky.

As Bruno pointed out, git submodules can be rather annoying to use.  You
can just "cd" into the submodule and check out your feature branch
manually though!  Submodules are just nested git repositories under the
hood.

I'm still looking for a more dev-friendly solution, and I'll have a
closer look at Bruno's helper script.

- Florian