Re: [Taler] 36C3 Demo

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] 36C3 Demo
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 00:08:27 +0100

On 1/5/20 9:55 PM, David Kleuker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i have just seen the talk about the mobile NFC payment app for vending
> machines from 36C3.
>
> https://media.ccc.de/v/36c3-oio-186-buying-snacks-via-nfc-with-gnu-taler
>
> Sadly i havn't seen it at the conference.
>
> Do you plan to add it to the demo page, so i can get KUDOS from the bank
> on my smartphone and pay with it at the demo stores?

Yes, for now: wallet.taler.net already contains the Android wallet, and
it works with the demo if you do NOT install the browser wallet.

> And i would like to know what the conclusion of the demo at 36C3 was. Is
> it ready for production use or do you have a long list of things to fix?

We have a few things to fix (like the display cable on the snack machine
that worked "sometimes"). There were also a few minor issues discovered
at 36c3, but most were fixed on-site. We do still have a long list of
things to fix/improve, but that list is not new.

> Would it be possible to receive a receipt on the app about the purchase?

You do get one already. We're currently improving the "history" display
so that you can see the receipts more nicely.

> That would help with the new law in germany where customers need to get
> a receipt in all stores ("Bonpflicht").
>
> And don't forget to post a report about the demo and the video at
> https://taler.net/en/news/index.html!

Well, I think we'll do that once the machine is in real operation.
Should only be another month or two. Stay tuned :-)